Tiger Woods says he is getting ‘professional help’ in wake of DUI

Tiger Woods announced Monday via Twitter that he’s getting professional help in the wake of his DUI arrest in May.

The golf great was found asleep at the wheel of his vehicle in Jupiter, Fla. on May 29. He was incoherent, but no alcohol was found in his system.

Woods, who has undergone four back surgeries since 2014 told the arresting officers he had an adverse reaction to a mix of prescription drugs, which included Vicodin and Xanax.

The 14-time major champion tweeted that he’s dealing with a problem with prescription drugs.

“I’m currently receiving professional help to manage my medications and the ways that I deal with back pain and a sleep disorder,” Woods said on social media. “I want to thank everyone for the amazing outpouring of support and understanding especially the fans and players on tour.”

Woods, 41, is scheduled to be arraigned on the DUI charge on Aug. 9.

After missing 15 months, including the entire 2016 season, Woods attempted to return to the course last December.

His comeback lasted three tournaments before he was sidelined again with back problems, prompting the fourth surgery.

Woods also sought professional help for sex addiction in 2009 after his wife, Elin Nordegren, and the world discovered he had been carrying on several extramarital affairs.

Woods and Nordegren divorced in 2010.

His career hasn’t been the same since. He raced to 14 major wins, last capturing the U.S. Open in 2008. But he hasn’t won a major title since.

Woods following his DUI arrest in May.

Woods following his DUI arrest in May.


Back problems have limited Woods to just 19 tournaments since 2014.

Woods’ most recent surgery was in April, and he seemed upbeat about his recovery.

“The surgery went well, and I’m optimistic this will relieve my back spasms and pain,” Woods said. “When healed, I look forward to getting back to a normal life, playing with my kids, competing in professional golf and living without the pain I have been battling so long.”

The recovery period was supposed to be six months.

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:

Source link