VIJFHUIZEN, Netherlands – The Latest on third anniversary of downing of jetliner over Ukraine (all times local):
Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko is calling for justice for 298 people who were killed when a Malaysian airline was shot down three years ago over separatist-controlled eastern Ukraine.
The Amsterdam-to-Kuala Lumpur Flight MH17 was shot down on July 17, 2014, by a missile. International investigators have concluded that the Buk missile was fired from Russia-backed rebel-controlled territory by a mobile launcher trucked in from Russia and hastily returned. Moscow rejects these findings.
Poroshenko said on Monday Ukraine is mourning for the victims and said he believes the perpetrators of the attack would be brought to justice.
Victims came from 17 countries, with 196 of them Dutch. The Dutch government said earlier this month that any suspects will be prosecuted in the Netherlands.
Relatives and friends of people killed three years ago when a surface-to-air missile blew a Malaysia Airlines passenger jet out of the sky over Ukraine are marking the anniversary together with the Dutch king at a new memorial near the Amsterdam airport from which the plane departed.
Monday afternoon’s commemoration comes as international investigators continue their painstaking probe aimed at bringing to justice those responsible for shooting down Flight 17 and killing all 298 passengers and crew.
The Boeing 777 was destroyed by a Buk missile on July 17, 2014, over conflict-torn eastern Ukraine. The international criminal probe has concluded that the missile was fired from rebel-controlled territory by a mobile launcher trucked in from Russia. Russia has denied any involvement, and denounced the conclusions as politically biased.