Terry Collins, Asdrubal Cabrera shrug off report on Amed Rosario



Terry Collins on Sunday discounted a report that claimed Mets brass is refusing to call up stud prospect Amed Rosario because of concern over Asdrubal Caberera’s lingering disappointment with being moved from shortstop to second base.


Cabrera initially demanded a trade after Collins made the switch in late June, but he later walked back those comments.


“That’s the first time I’ve heard something like that. I don’t know where that came from,” Collins said Sunday when asked to comment on the report from The Record. “I’ve said all along I think our clubhouse has very, very good veteran players in it, so that has not been a discussion. And Sandy (Alderson) hasn’t brought it up as far as our discussions with him. We haven’t really talked too much about Rosario. That’s going to be his call. That’s kind of news to me.”

Amed Rosario is growing impatient as he tears up Triple-A.

Amed Rosario is growing impatient as he tears up Triple-A.

(Lynne Sladky/AP)


A salty Cabrera shrugged off the report after the Mets’ 13-4 loss to the Rockies Sunday. Cabrera hit a two-run homer in the defeat.

Mets SS prospect Amed Rosario tweets (then deletes) proposal


“I got nothing,” he said. “That’s not my choice.”

Terry Collins said the decision to call up Rosario will be GM Sandy Alderson's.

Terry Collins said the decision to call up Rosario will be GM Sandy Alderson’s.


When asked if he’s content with playing second base, Cabrera said, “I’m fine. I play second base. That’s my position.”


Rosario is hitting .328 with seven homers, 52 RBI and a .842 OPS in 85 games in Triple-A with the Las Vegas 51s this season.

Asdrubal Cabrera previously requested a trade after being moved to second base.

Asdrubal Cabrera previously requested a trade after being moved to second base.

(Jason O. Watson/Getty Images)


On Friday, the 21-year-old tweeted a proposal of sorts to the Mets, writing “AR = Amed is Ready.” He later deleted the tweet.

Mets top prospect Amed Rosario: ‘I’m 100 percent ready’


Jose Reyes, who is close with Rosario, said he spoke with him about the mishap.


“He was very down about that,” Reyes said. “I said, ‘You have to be careful what you’re posting on social media because this is New York. I know you didn’t do it on purpose, but people here, they’re going to take it the wrong way. So just stay away from that.'”

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet



Source link