The security guard shot by Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock seemingly disappeared ahead of five scheduled television appearances as MGM Resorts continued to dispute the police timeline of the deadly shooting.
Mandalay Bay security guard Jesus Campos was shot in the moments before the 64-year-old gunman opened fire on concert-goers at the Route 91 Festival. He was slated to break his silence in a series of interviews Thursday, but he bolted, Fox News reported.
It wasn’t immediately clear where he was Friday morning.
“We were in a room and we came out and he was gone,” Campos’ union president told ABC News’ Stephanie Wash.
Fox News’ Sean Hannity told social media users curious as to why the interview didn’t air that Campos “cancelled” Thursday night.
Earlier in the day, Mandalay Bay hotel officials disputed the police timeline of the concert shooting. They claim Paddock, a high-stakes gambler and real estate investor, fired into the crowd just 40 seconds after shooting Campos.
The most recent timeline offered by authorities has Paddock shooting 200 rounds into the hallway of the 32nd floor of the hotel, wounding Campos in the leg at 9:59 p.m. — six minutes before shot into crowds watching Jason Aldean perform.
Paddock killed 58 and nearly 500 other before turning his gun on himself and taking his own life.
According police, Paddock began shooting at 10:05 and fired off more than 1,000 rounds from his window for ten minutes. Responders didn’t arrive on the 32nd floor until two minutes later, at 10:17 p.m.
MGM Resorts International, which owns Mandalay Bay, in a statement said the time of the hallway shooting — 9:59 p.m. — came from a report “manually created” after the massacre.
Hotel officials believe Paddock began shooting at the crowd “at the same time as, or within 40 seconds after” Campos radioed for help.
“We are now confident that the time stated in this report is not accurate,” MGM said in the statement, adding they hope to “correct some of the misinformation reported.”
With News Wire Services